Last night instead of going to the movies, I suggested to Phil that we make zucchini muffins because I had an extra zucchini and if I am going to eat any dessert, I wanted to make sure I knew what was in the food. OF COURSE he said okay, since he would be bringing home most of them. I made a healthy version of this recipe I found on allrecipes.com (my go-to). The recipe is for bread but I didn’t have a bread pan so I decided to make muffins. They came out super moist and yummy. I also added choc chips to half the batch. Here’s the recipe with my alterations:
- 1.5 cups cups all-purpose flour
- 1.5 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups grated zucchini (about two zucchinis)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup choc chips (optional- but WHY wouldn’t you?!)
- Grease two muffin tins. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Sift flour, salt, baking powder, soda, and cinnamon together in a bowl.
- Beat eggs, oil, applesauce, vanilla, and sugar together in a large bowl. Add sifted ingredients to the creamed mixture, and beat well. Stir in zucchini and nuts until well combined. Pour batter into prepared tins.
- If you are baking one batch at a time, bake for about 25 minutes, or until tester inserted in the center comes out clean. If baking both batches, bake for about 55-60 minutes. Cool on rack for 20 minutes. Remove muffins from tins, and completely cool.
I also forgot to take pictures!!!!