I have a confession. I sort of love winter running. There is something about sweating while it’s 20 deg out. I say this now in my 90 deg room but tomorrow morning I will probably regret typing that. Anyway, while I am still loving winter running, I thought I’d share my winter running checklist/tips with you.
- Get a GOOD pair of running tights. This is your one big investment- make it. Otherwise you will have windburned legs and that is not cool. And make sure they cover your ankles.
- Layer up. You will need a solid base layer (maybe two) and a good, windproof jacket. But remember that your body temp will rise 20 deg so don’t overdo it either.
- Gloves and wool socks.
- Ear warmers/headband/hat- get one that is wicking bc you will be sweating.
- Carry tissues with you. I don’t know about you but my nose always runs (haa) when I am running in the cold.
- Chapstick. Windburned lips are also not cool.
- If you can, try to run in the afternoon when it’s the warmest. Otherwise, I like running in the morning when the sun is out.
- Not as many people run in the winter so the streets/parks will be less crowded!!
- Be careful when it’s icy- black ice is no fun.
- Don’t forget to drink water. You will feel less thirsty running in the cold but your body still needs to hydrate.
- If you want, warm up inside (jumping jacks, dynamic stretches, etc) so that you are not FREEZING when you step outside. I personally find that the cold just motivates me to get moving asap.
I am now motivated to buy some new winter running gear. Happy running!!
What are some of your winter running tips?
Who likes winter running?